Sunday, May 16, 2010

In the beginning...

I have been reading my daughter-inlaws blog for several years but never entertained the idea of creating my own. So here I am jumping into the 21st century.
Doing the readings and listening to the two downloads have kindof overwhelmed me in this course. Many of the terms are ones I have heard and even used in talking about computers and the web, but it really boggles the mind when you see the list at the end of the chapter. I liked the presentation of Building Academic Library 2.0. Meredith Farkas presented a very comprehensive picture of where we are and where we should be going. The presentation by Tim Berners-Lee was a little over my head. The OCLC report had some good nuggets in it about the fact that no one cares about the format anymore, just so they can get the information, when they need it. But with so many formats available I think this may become more of an issue, especially if you can't transfer from one format to another.
A word of explanation about the title of this blog. I am now officially Grandma Cake. The title came because my niece always thought I was Aunt Cake until she saw my name written. She was very disappointed to discover that it was "Aunt Kate' But as all good things that happen in families, the name stuck. By the way, we also have an "Uncle Pickle" whose son is know as Gerkin. But more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment