Friday, June 11, 2010

Keeping it going

I am now studying for the midterm "quiz." I had not realized that we had covered so much material. I find that my understanding of the technical workings of computers much harder to come by. I can figure out how to use a program, that's practical. I'm not sure that I want to know how it works and why it works that way, just so it works. But I do understand the need for the course. These are questions we're going to come up against almost every day. So the more we understand the better we can answer, search for or refer to an answer for a patron, no matter what type of library we're in. The idea of open source software is important because, although I work at a university library with all the bells and whistles every small public library cannot afford to have even proprietary library software and often has to use the public access programs because that's all they can afford.
I think using the open source library programs should be fun. Give me a chance to compare with Voyager. We had no say in the choice of Voyager, we were just told the University was changing and this was what we had to do. Some of the records rolled over, some did not and had to be input by hand. I do not understand why the university has not kept up with the updates to the system. They were supposed to do an update this summer but now that is put off again. Some of the features we are using are still back in the dinosaur age. The system is fairly clunky and the workflow features are not the best. For instance you have to click all over the place to input an invoice, it takes almost 25 clicks to do one invoice even imputing the PO record. Also it's hard to flow from Acquisitions to Cataloging and then to Circulation.
Anyway, back to work. Good luck on the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment